Yummy Blueberry, Almond Lemon Cake

Courtesy photo

A slice of this yummy fresh berry cake is perfect late on a Sunday morning, as an afternoon snack or even after dinner, as dessert with coffee. It will keep for a few days but it will shine at its finest the moment it is made!

Bon Appétit! Chef Bettina

Yummy Blueberry, Almond Lemon Cake

½ cup (1 stick) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the pan
1 scant cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, beaten
⅔ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9- or 8-inch loaf pan with butter, line it with a parchment paper sling and butter the paper. Set the pan aside.

Place butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until light in color, then lower speed to medium. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times as necessary.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and almond flour. With the stand mixer on low, add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing just until no white specks remain. By hand, gently fold in about 75% of the blueberries, then scoop batter into the prepared loaf pan. Set aside remaining 25%.

Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle the remaining blueberries over the top of the cake. Return to the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cake is golden brown but still uncooked. Cover loosely with foil and continue to bake for another 25 to 30 minutes (less for a 9-inch pan, more for an 8-inch pan), or until risen and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in its pan to cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pan and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.

When cake is cool, make the icing: Add lemon juice and powdered sugar to a bowl and whisk together until smooth, adding a bit more juice if necessary, just until the icing moves when you tilt the bowl. Pour over the cake and gently spread out. Let icing set, ~ 30 minutes, slice and serve.

Bettina Tolin is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Austin. She has cooked in the kitchens of the Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island, Florida. She is currently the Executive Chef and owner of Marcello’s overlooking the historic lighthouse in Port Isabel. Marcello’s Ocean Grille & Spirits was recently written up in Texas Monthly magazine as the new trending restaurant for dinner and brunch in the South Padre Island area.